Wednesday May 26th-
Hey groovy guys and groovy gals!
Well today was an “A” day(early day) and our Friday! Tomorrow we do not have school because of graduation for the seniors, and Friday we are doing nothing but working on Review packets. My teacher said, “We are not going to be doing anything on Friday so just as long as you get it excused, I don’t care if you miss.” So we told our parents and they agreed to let us take off Friday. Do you know what this means? Whit and I will get to sleep in TWO DAYS in a row. We have not gotten one day to sleep in over a month! Five days a week we wake up at 5 am and 2 days we wake up at 6 am. It really starts to take a toll on your body, especially teenagers who have to go to school, work out, do homework, chores, and got to work all in one day. It is madness. I do not know how we do it, but some how we manage.
With it being our early day and all, Whit and I came home had a leisurely lunch, then debated whether we were doing a gym or an at home workout. We were both feeling very tired and groggy today, but we sucked it up and decided to hit the gym. And we hit it hard, I am talking flushed red faces and dripping sweat. We completed 40 min. of running on the treadmill for a total of 3.5 miles and 20 min. of strength training. After completing Insanity, Whit and I have slowly been getting back into running. For today’s workout we used this 3-2-1 running circuit from Iowa Girl, but this is how we modified it:
|11:00-35:00||Repeat minutes 5-11 four more times|
This workout was killer, definitely a lung workout. I wore my new Zensah Shin Compression Sleeves that I ordered offline and they worked beautifully. I have been getting killer shin splints lately, and even when I run consistently I have horrible shin and calf pain which keeps me from running farther. These babies give me all of the support I need so that I am pain free!
I started off this workout with the intention that I was too tired to do much, but then as Chalene Johnson always says, “I got my second wind” right in the middle of the workout(right at about 25 minutes to be exact)!
Well on to the eats of the day. In the midst of Summer we don’t want to have a bloated tummy, RIGHT? As seen in Seventeen’s current issue, they say to skip the blueberry muffin with butter. It may seem fast and easy in the morning, but “it’s filled with unhealthy fats, so it will just sit in your stomach and make you feel puffy.”
1 average medium blueberry muffins has about 444 calories and 22 g of fat
You could have 2 slices of French toast
1 cup of nonfat plain yogurt
1 cup of strawberries
2 tbs. of pecans
for about 435 calories and 16 g of fat, now which one sounds more tempting?
This morning, we chose a berry smoothie and a slice of rice pecan bread.
Here’s how we made this smoothie:
1 1/2 cups of almond milk
1 container of strawberry light dannon yogurt
1/2 cup of blueberries
1 tbs might maple pb
1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
10 raw almonds
1 tsp chia seeds
6 ice cubes
This recipe serves 2
So purple and purdy 🙂
We topped our raisin pecan bread with honey almond cream cheese and strawberry preserves.
**Adding a fruit spread adds sweetness without too much sugar so your hunger will not increase!
** Also another tip from Seventeen!
Lunch: A mixed greens salad with turkey, purple onion, chick peas, a hard-boiled egg, topped with guac and peanuts. We also used a balsamic dressing!
Sooo good and lots of protein, which is awesome for muscle tone!
One of the things on the side was this Jay Robb Cashew-Coconut bar.
Here are the ingredients:
And nutritional info….
**Verdict: This bar tasted like cookie dough dipped in rice krispy cereal. It was so awesome and kept me full all afternoon. It is very chewy and takes you a long time to eat which is why I think it was so satisfying!
Also on the side was a peach that we dipped in greek yogurt/ pb sauce!
When we got back from the gym we were still not hungry, but we refueled with some High Country Kombucha.
**Verdict: This flavor reminded me of GT’s Kombucha’s grape flavor. I love this stuff, it really has helped clear up my acne!
Dinner was a simple turkey and cheese quesidilla and a fruit salad.
I love quesidillas!
Tonight my special addition to this fruit salad was MANGO!
Have you been totally lost on where to begin on Summer shape-up Workouts?
Here is a weekly plan to help you kick start:
|TUES||CARDIO(Jog, bike, Swim, workout vid, or cardio machine for 30 min)|
|SAT||CARDIO(Do intervals. Sprint 30 sec, then rest for 60. Do that 5 times, then rest for 2 minutes. Repeat 3 times total|
“Find balance in your regimen and life. Take two days off each week!”-Jillian Michaels
**The importance of Strength training**
- Strong muscles help you lose weight. And it’s not just the exercise involved to become strong that matters. Muscle tissue burns as much as 15 times more calories per day than does fat tissue — even when at rest! Nothing stokes your metabolism better than muscle.
- Increases muscle mass, and muscle burns more calories than fat. Even at rest, your body will burn more calories if you strength train regularly. As muscle mass increases, metabolism increases, making it easier to maintain a healthy body weight. If you don’t intentionally rebuild muscle through exercise, every ten years you will need to eat 150-450 less calories each day to maintain your current weight.
- Develop strong bones. By stressing your bones, strength training increases bone density and reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
- Get a better night’s sleep. People who commit to a regular strength training program are less likely to have insomnia.
For an idea of what a day could look like on our Summer Shape-up plan, here is a superb day of foods:
- Homemade egg-white Mcmuffin(Cook 3 egg whites in the microwave in a small round bowl for 2 min 30 sec, place 1 slice of fat-free cheese and a reduced sodium piece of ham on a light multigrain english muffin.) -toast english muffin before hand, optional.
- 1 orange
- Coffee or tea
- Tuna and white bean salad stuffed in 1/2 of a whole wheat tortilla(1 can Tuna, rinsed canned white beans, 1 melted laughing cow wedge, 2 celery sticks chopped)
- 1 pear
- Water with 1 lime slice
- 1 oz whole wheat pretzels with 2 tbs of Peanut butter
- 5 oz grilled salmon topped with lemon juice and Mrs. Dash Salt Free Lemon pepper seasoning
- mixed green veggie salad
- 1/2 cup steamed brown rice
- Baked apple slices with cinnamon, agave, and greek yogurt on top
Our 5 day weekend begins NOW! Toodles yo 🙂
XOXO Court & Whit♥